As part of a real estate transaction, our client was committed to treat a chlorinated ethene plume to below the applicable Standards. The ethenes of concern included:
- TCE (concentrations of ~100 μg/L)
- cis-1,2-DCE (concentrations of ~150 μg/L)
- Vinyl chloride (concentrations of ~10 μg/L)
Scope of Work
- Acquired all relevant permits to complete the remediation program.
- Designed pilot scale program to determine injection parameters.
- Designed and optimized an in-situ program to maximize treatment efficiencies.
- Implemented a program that minimized capital expenditures and infrastructure.
- Monitored pre- and post-injection treatment parameters.
The Vertex Approach
- Program to address plume with dimensions of ~150 m by 50 m
- Chemical oxidation using permanganate
- Three injections under low pressure
- greater than 3,900 kg of KMnO,
- Injections completed using:
- Direct placement
- Pressure injection into vertical wells
- 54 injection wells and 58 temporary points
- Remediation completed within 6 months
- Remediation objectives meant:
- TCE below 50 μg/L
- cis-1,2-DCE below 70 μg/L
- Vinyl chloride below 0.5 μg/L
- Record of Site Condition Obtained